2024-2025 College Catalog 
    Jul 25, 2024  
2024-2025 College Catalog

Registration & Student Records



The Records & Registration Office is available to help students navigate their own path to degree completion. 


Degrees & Majors

A student may change their major or add an additional major. Changes are made by submitting a Change of Major form in myBay or completing a form in the Student Services office. Each student is required to declare a major. Available majors or programs are listed in this catalog and include all requirements that must be fulfilled in order to receive that particular degree or certificate.

Catalog of Record

When students enroll for academic credit at Bay College, their graduation requirements are governed by the catalog in effect at the time of their enrollment. This is known as the Catalog of Record. The Catalog of Record changes when:

  1. A student is not enrolled for one calendar year and re-enrolls.
  2. Requirements for the degree or certificate as listed in the catalog are revised and a student wishes to follow the newer catalog. A newer catalog may be requested to the Records & Registration Office but a student may not request a change to a previous catalog.
  3. A student changes their major. The catalog in effect when the change is made becomes the student’s Catalog of Record.

Archived catalogs are available online at the college website and myBay or by request from the Records & Registration Office.

Students may track their progress toward degree completion by checking myBay > Current Students > Academic Advising - Degree Audit Portlet. This will show the student their unofficial degree audit details. Students should work with their Advisors to plan how they will complete their degree or certificate requirements. An audit can also be requested in myBay or from the Records & Registration Office at registration@baycollege.edu.


Course Information


Students should work with their Advisors, using their Catalog of Record, as they plan their registration for each term. To register for courses, students must log-in to myBay > Current Students > Registration > Register for Classes to enter their chosen courses. Any issues with self-registration should be noted to registration@baycollege.edu.

During the first 10% of a course’s length, a student may add the course to their schedule via myBay. Requests to add after that date are only allowed under special circumstances and with permission of instructor. Students seeking to be added into a course past the add deadline should contact the instuctor of that course for permission. Please refer to Academic Calendar to reference the specific registration dates.


Bay College operates on a semester hour basis. The Fall and Winter semesters are 16 weeks in length while the full Summer session is 12 weeks long. Each Fall and Winter semester also include two 7-week sessions (7A & 7B) and each Summer session has two 6-week sessions (6A & 6B) that offer accelerated courses. An accelerated course is the opportunity to complete certain courses in a shorter timeframe, students will still be covering 16 weeks of content and should expect the course to progress rapidly. There may also be a 4-week inter-session course tied to Fall semester that spans the weeks between the Fall and Winter semester. This inter-session course is only available when need and faculty availability make it possible. All semester and session dates can be found in the Academic Calendar.

Instructional Delivery

Bay College has 4 instructional delivery methods that are currently being used to deliver education to students. Courses are scheduled in various delivery methods for a variety of reasons.

  • On-Campus: A traditional face-to-face course is taught in-person with on-campus attendance. Days, times and location of on-campus courses are provided within the college course schedule. On-campus courses may also utilize online materials or online assignment submission.
  • Online: An online course is delivered entirely online. An online course requires students to complete regular online assignments with specified deadlines.
  • On-Campus Hybrid: An on-campus hybrid course is a blended course that combines on-campus attendance with content delivered online. An on-campus hybrid course may also utilize virtual meetings in place of on-campus meetings. Days, times and location of potential on-campus sessions or virtual meetings are provided within the college course schedule which also indicates an online course component.
  • Online Hybrid: An online hybrid course is a blended course that combines scheduled virtual meetings with content delivered online. Days and times of virtual meetings are provided within the college course schedule which also indicates an online course component.

Testing Notice for Proctored Exams: You may be required to use Respondus Monitor (web-recorded) for proctored exams or go to the testing center at the Main campus or West campus or an alternate proctored location. Please contact your instructor and the testing services manager if you need assistance locating an approved location. There may be a cost associated with the proctoring, which is the student’s responsibility.

Occasionally a course will require a faculty to teach remotely to different locations using Independent Television (ITV) or other video conferencing software to deliver a course to multiple locations at the same time. A course may be delivered this way to satisfy an on-campus component of course delivery.

Attendance Requirements

Students are expected to attend all sessions of each class in which they are enrolled. Failure to do so may result in academic penalty. Absence in no way relieves the student of the responsibility for completing all work in the class to the satisfaction of the instructor. Students should carefully review attendance policies in their syllabi.

Attendance is considered when determining and disbursing financial aid. Students must attend during the first 10% of the term. If a student does not attend, the student may be dropped from the course for non-attendance. It is encouraged for students to notify their faculty of any attendance extenuating circumstances.

Traditional and Hybrid Classes: In order to be considered in attendance, a student must submit an academic graded assignment, take a graded exam, or attend a lecture within the first 10% of the course. If they do not, the student will be administratively dropped from the class. This may affect their eligibility for financial aid.

Online Classes: In order to be considered in attendance during the first 10% of the course, students must do one of the following: 1) submit an academic graded assignment, 2) take a graded exam or interactive tutorial, 3) attend an assigned online gathering, 4) participate in an academic and graded discussion forum, or 5) initiate contact with the instructor to ask questions about the academic subject matter of the course. If they do not, the student will be administratively dropped from the class. This may affect eligibility for financial aid.

Non-registered attendance: Students who attend classes without being properly registered for the class will not receive credit for the course and will be asked to either get properly registered, or no longer continue attending the course.

Dropping & Withdrawing from Classes

If a student cannot complete a course, they have the opportunity to drop or withdraw during specific timeframes. Common course timelines of 7 weeks and 16 weeks are denoted in the 2024-2025 Academic Calendar  found within myBay, the College Catalog and the Bay College website. 

Drop: A student may drop a course during the first 10% of the course. Courses that are dropped will be removed from the student’s transcript and the student will receive a refund of course charges. This can only happen during the designated times to drop a course. Please refer to the college Academic Calendar for specific dates. Students can drop through myBay until those dates. If the student feels that there are extenuating circumstances for a course drop to be considered and it is within the withdrawal timeline, the student should complete a written appeal to the Bay College Appeals Committee by completing this form and submitting it to the Student Appeals Committee via email.

Withdrawal: A student may withdraw from a course from 11% to 65% of the way through the course. If a student requests to withdraw, the student will receive a ‘W’ status for the course in place of a grade on their transcript. Students who do not properly withdraw will receive an ‘F’ (or earned grade) for the course. Students who stop attending courses and do not request to withdraw will receive an ‘F’ (or earned grade) for the course. A withdrawn course does not factor into GPA.

In some instances, Bay College may NOT allow students to withdraw from a course. For example, a student may not be allowed to withdraw from a course to avoid penalty for academic dishonesty. For this or other reason, the College may not grant a student’s request for a withdrawal. In these instances, the Registrar will communicate the detailed reason to the student.

Repeated withdrawals may impact eligibility for financial aid. Prior to withdrawing from a course, it is recommended that students speak with the Financial Aid office regarding how the withdraw may affect current or future financial aid.

Procedure: Students are responsible for initiating their withdrawal from a course; this does not happen automatically. Only students are able to request a withdrawal from a course. Students who choose to register late are still held to the same dates, deadlines, and procedures listed in the withdrawal policy.

In order to properly withdraw from a course, students must e-mail the course instructor (using their Bay College e-mail) with their name, Bay College ID number, course name, course number and a request to “withdraw” from the course. The instructor will forward the e-mail request and the student’s last date of attendance to registration@baycollege.edu. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the student receiving an ‘F’ for the class. 

Withdrawal Appeal: Students seeking to withdraw after the official withdrawal period are required to request a written appeal to the Bay College Appeals Committee by completing the Student Appeals Form found in MyBay –> Current Students –> Forms, Docs, Policies.  Once the form is completed please submit to studentappeals@baycollege.edu. An appeal does not guarantee a withdrawal will be granted.

Military Deployment: There is no penalty due to withdrawal for military personnel who are deployed. Transcripts will be marked “Military Deployment.” Student Services will work with military students and veterans to assist them with completion of courses and degrees or certificates.

Withdrawal from College: If a student wishes to withdraw from college entirely, a student must request the withdraw from each of their registered courses. It is also important for the student to e-mail registration@baycollege.edu to notify the Student Records and Registration office. If the student is receiving federal financial aid, the student is highly encouraged to speak with financial aid prior to the withdrawal.

Auditing a Course

Auditing a class allows a student to attend a course without working towards a grade. Students may register to audit a class during the regular registration period through the Records & Registration Office. Students choosing to audit a course must pay full tuition and Financial Aid may not be used. Students choosing to audit a course will not receive credit for the course.

A credit class can be changed to an audit, but an audited class cannot be changed to a credit class. Changes can be made during the first 20% of a course.

Repeating a Course

A student may repeat any course however the student must register for and pay tuition for the course again. The original grade will remain on the transcript and a notation will be made that the course has been repeated. While the credit hours for the course will count both times for attempted hours, the credit hours earned for a repeated course count only once. The most recent grade will be recorded on the transcript and will replace the original grade in the calculation of the GPA. Final grades of “W”, “NP”, or “AU” will not replace the previous grade, neither will a course status of “I”. Students receiving financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine how repeating a course may affect their aid.


Enrollment Status & Verification

Enrollment status is determined by the total credits for which the student has registered:


12+ Semester Credits

Three-Quarter Time

9-11 Semester Credits


6-9 Semester Credits

Less-Than-Half Time

5 or less Semester Credits

Classification is determined by the total credits earned toward a degree or certificate:


0-23 Credits Completed


24+ Credits Completed

Credit Hour Limit

The maximum number of credits students may take at one time is limited in order to assist their academic success. If a student wants to exceed the maximum number of credits, this can be approved on an individual basis by the Registrar. The limits are:


19 Credit Hours


19 Credit Hours


12 Credit Hours

Credit Hour

According to federal definition, “a credit hour represents the student work required to demonstrate achievement of clearly-defined learning outcomes to be accomplished in one hour of direct faculty instruction in the classroom, or online, and two hours of out-of-class student work each week for the equivalent of 15 weeks a semester. Labs, co-ops, clinicals, and other academic activities require a minimum of two hours of student work each week for the equivalent of 15 weeks a semester for each credit hour.” At Bay College, degree and certificate requirements are calculated in credit hours completed. 

Contact Hour

Bay College calculates tuition and fees in contact hours, the number of hours the student meets with an instructor and/or attends instructional sessions.


Enrollment verification in a college course (non-credit courses do not apply) is a legally certifiable status.  Many public and private entities require a person claiming student status have their claim verified by the college or university they attend. 

  • To remain on parents’ health insurance
  • To defer repayment of educational loans
  • To comply with certain public assistance requirements
  • To comply with VISA requirements
  • To maintain eligibility for state and federally funded financial aid, or employer sponsored plans

You can verify your enrollment after the add/drop period through the National Student Clearinghouse by going to MyBay –> Current Students –> Registrar –> Verifications.

A student can also verify a degree by requesting an official transcript here.

Transfer of Credits

Transcripts are an official record of the student’s academic course work at Bay College, or work transferred to Bay College from another college or university. Once a course is recorded on a transcript, courses cannot be removed.

Transferring Credit from Bay College to Other Institutions

To initiate the transfer of Bay College Credit a student must request an official transcript be sent to their selected transfer school. No educational institution is obligated to accept Bay College credits and students must follow transfer guidelines as established by other institutions.

A student who wants an official transcript sent to a designated recipient must order through www.baycollege.edu/student-life/transcripts.php. Bay College has authorized Parchment to manage the ordering, processing and secure delivery of your official transcripts. There will be a nominal fee associated with this service.

Transferring Credit from Other Institutions to Bay College

Potential transfer students are expected to complete a Bay College application for admission and must send official transcripts from each previous college for evaluation. Bay College will then evaluate the official transcripts based on the students’ chose Bay College major. The student is notified when the accepted credits are added onto their Bay College transcript.

Transfer credit is awarded only from an official transcript, sent directly to Bay College from the sending institution or a third-party service on behalf of the sending institution; both paper and electronic copies are acceptable. Official transcripts in a sealed envelope may be accepted from the student only if the seal is not broken. Bay College reserves the right to make a final determination as to the authenticity of an official transcript which has passed through the hands of the student.

Only college-level credits earned at an accredited postsecondary institution will be considered for transfer. Only credits earned at accredited institutions of higher learning (i.e., recognized by CHEA and the U.S. Department of Education will be considered for transfer.  A comprehensive list of these accrediting bodies can be found here.

Transfer coursework must meet the following criteria to be awarded transfer credit:

  1. The course contains college-level material. Remedial or developmental coursework is not eligible for credit. The determination of college-level content is made by review of the course content, not strictly on the course number.
  2. The student has earned a grade of “C” or 2.00 grade point on a 4.00 grading scale. Courses graded lower than a “C” or 2.00 grade point are not eligible for transfer.
  3. The course is undergraduate level. Graduate level coursework may be eligible for transfer credit, depending on the course content.
  4. The course must be the course of record for the originating institution. Transfer credit awarded on a transcript from another institution is not eligible for transfer credit.

For coursework determined to be eligible for transfer, credit is awarded in the following manner:

  1. Only courses and credits will be posted to the Bay College transcript. Transfer grades are not posted, nor are they included in the calculation of the Bay College grade point average. If the transfer course is the equivalent course to a previously completed Bay College course, the transfer course will NOT be considered a replacement, but an additional course. The Bay College grade does not get replaced.
  2. Transferred courses and credits count only toward the total earned credits on the Bay College transcript and are not included in the GPA or attempted credits.
  3. Bay College direct equivalent courses are evaluated as such. If no direct course equivalent is available, either general subject credit or elective credit is awarded.
  4. Credit awarded may count toward program completion at Bay College, as long as residency requirements are met, and the course(s) has been determined to fulfill program requirement(s).
  5. Transfer credit awarded will not exceed the number of credits earned for the original course. If a transfer course has fewer credits than the Bay College equivalent, the lesser amount of credit is assigned. Transfer courses which are assigned credits in a system other than semester hours (such as quarter hours) are converted to semester hours when transfer credit is awarded. Standard conversion scales are used.

If a transfer student changes majors, it is recommended that the student ask the Registrar for a transfer credit re-evaluation. Evaluated credits will be applied to the student’s Bay College transcript, but no Bay College transcript will be sent to another college unless the student completes credits at Bay College. Credits transfer, grades do not. Therefore, no transfer grades are recorded or calculated into the GPA. If a course has no equivalent at Bay, it may be used as an elective.

Transferring Credit from International Institutions to Bay College

Coursework completed at a postsecondary institution outside the U.S. must be evaluated by one of the following approved third-party evaluation services. That evaluation will be used to determine whether or not transfer credit may be awarded. The student must request a copy of the evaluation be sent to the Admissions Office as part of their application process. The student is responsible to pay any fee incurred.

AACRAO International Education Services - http://www.aacrao.org/credential/index.htm
World Education Services (WES) - http://www.wes.org/
ECE International - http://www.eceinternational.com/education-evaluation.html

International students who have not attended an institution of higher learning must have their high school diploma/certificate verified by one of the agencies listed above. Direct any questions about the transcript evaluation to the Registrar’s Office.

Course Equivalencies

For course-by-course equivalencies within Michigan colleges or universities, the Michigan Transfer Network website at www.mitransfer.org which provides quick and easy data on how your Bay course(s) may transfer between Michigan institutions. For students transferring out of state, please contact your transfer institution to ensure that your Bay course(s) will transfer.

Military Training Credit

All veterans having a certified DD Form 214 on file in the Admissions Office will automatically be given credit for two semester hours of physical education. Veterans who feel that other training received in the military is applicable to their program of study may request that such training be evaluated for credit. The veteran must produce proper documentation that will be evaluated based on the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Veterans planning to transfer from Bay College to another institution should be aware that the institution may not accept the credit for military training given by Bay College but will usually wish to re-evaluate the training documentation.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning may be available for a select number of courses for currently admitted students who have achieved prior certifications, credentials, or on-the-job training experiences. Any prior learning credits that are awarded are noted as Advanced Standing (AS) credit on the student’s transcript and will not transfer to any other institution of higher education. Student must contact the Registrar for details on how to begin the assessment process for obtaining prior learning credits and any potential fees associated. 

Advanced Placement Program (AP) & College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Advanced Placement (AP) Program

College course credit will be granted to students who participate in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program at their area high school and pass the Advanced Placement examinations with an appropriate score. Only those AP courses approved by Bay College faculty will transfer in as Bay College credit. Advanced Placement exam scores must be sent directly to the Registrar to be evaluated for transfer credit.  Awarded credit will show on transcript as (AP): Advanced Placement Credit - Course credits are received but no grade is awarded.

AP Exam

Required Score

Credit Awarded

Bay College Course Equivalent



8 credits

BIOL 110 and BIOL 112 

Calculus AB


5 credits

MATH 141 

Calculus BC


5 credits

MATH 142 



10 credits

CHEM 110 and CHEM 112 

English Language & Composition


3 credits

ENGL 101 

English Literature & Composition 3 3 credits ENGL 150

Government & Politics (US)


3 credits

POLI 111 



3 credits

ECON 131 



3 credits

ECON 132 

Physics B


8 credits

PHYS 201 and PHYS 202 

Physics C (Mechanics)


5 credits

PHYS 205 

Physics C (Electricity & Magnetism)


5 credits

PHYS 206 



3 credits

PSYC 201 



4 credits

MATH 210 

U.S. History


3 credits

HIST 211 

Computer Science A


3 credits

CSCI 121 

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is administered by the College Board. CLEP enables those who have reached the college level of education to assess their level of academic achievement and to use the test results for college credit. Students must have official CLEP transcripts sent directly to Bay College for consideration of transfer. Bay College’s CLEP ID# is 1049.

Students planning to transfer to a university should consult that institution’s CLEP policies before taking CLEP tests. Some institutions, such as medical schools, do not accept CLEP credits for some subjects, such as biology and chemistry.

Students may not earn credit for CLEP subject examinations if the student has already earned credit in the course, was previously or currently enrolled in the course, or has credit in a higher-level course in that subject. CLEP credit will not count toward the minimum 17 credits required to be taken at Bay College for degrees and certificates. CLEP credits receive no grades and are not calculated in the student’s GPA. Only the courses listed below will be considered for transfer and only if the final score is 50 or higher.



Bay Course

Credits Awarded


Financial Accounting

ACCT 101 & ACCT 102 

8 credits


Information Systems & Computer Applications

CIS 101 

4 credits


Principles of Macroeconomics

ECON 131 

3 credits


Principles of Management

BUSN 242 

3 credits


Principles of Marketing

BUSN 253 

3 credits


Principles of Microeconomics

ECON 132 

3 credits


College Composition

ENGL 101 

3 credits

Foreign Language

French Language 1 & 2

FREN 111 & FREN 112

6 credits


German Language 1 & 2

GRMN 101 & GRMN 102

6 credits


Spanish Language 1 & 2

SPAN 101 & SPAN 102

6 credits



MATH 141 

5 credits


College Algebra

MATH 110 

4 credits


Pre- Calculus

MATH 140 

5 credits



BIOL 110 & BIOL 112

8 credits



CHEM 110 & CHEM 112

10 credits

Social & Behavioral Science

American Government

POLI 111

3 credits


United States History to 1865

HIST 211

3 credits


United States History from 1865

HIST 212

3 credits


Introduction to Psychology

PSYC 201

3 credits


Introduction to Sociology

SOCY 151

3 credits


Western Civilization I

HIST 101

3 credits


Western Civilization II

HIST 102

3 credits


Warnings & Holds

Students who have outstanding registration holds and/or financial obligations will not be permitted to register for classes until the hold has been lifted. A warning message does not prevent registration but indicates a student must resolve a concern related to their record. A hold indicates that records cannot be released, or registration cannot be processed until the reason for the hold is resolved. Types of “holds” include:

  1. Academic Warning/Hold: a warning message or hold may be placed to block registration for failure to maintain the standards outlined in the standards of academic progress.
  2. Athletic Hold: Due to eligibility requirements student athletes must have prior approval for course schedule changes, and should work with their co-advisor to secure proper permissions.
  3. Financial Hold: a hold may be placed to block registration when the student has failed to resolve a financial obligation to the college.
  4. Library Hold: a hold may be placed to block registration of a student who has failed to return a library resource or who has failed to pay charges owed to the library.
  5. Registration Hold: students must contact the Records & Registration Office to resolve the cause for the hold.
  6. Declare Major Warning: a warning message is placed on records for students who have graduated and are continuing to take classes but have not declared a new major. Students may register for classes, but they cannot be assigned an academic advisor and their financial aid may be affected. Students may request a change of major in myBay or contact the Registrar for assistance.



At the end of each term, students receive a status or grade that is recorded on their transcript. The grade indicates whether they completed the course and how well they met the requirements of the course. Bay College does not send Grade Reports. Students can review their unofficial transcript on myBay.

  • W: Student withdrew from the course and did not complete requirements. No credit is earned.
  • A through D-, P: Student completed requirements satisfactorily. Credit is earned.
  • F, NP: Student did not complete requirements satisfactorily. No credit is earned.
  • AU: Student attended the class but chose not to receive a degree. No credit is earned.
  • I: Student requested an “Incomplete” which allows the student additional time to complete all course requirements. This is only granted when there are extenuating circumstances. See the Incomplete Grades section for more information. 

Grade Point Average (GPA)

For each grade a student receives, a certain number of honor points are earned. The higher the grade, the more honor points are earned. Honor points are used to calculate the grade point average (GPA).


Honor Points/Credit


Honor Points/Credit



IP - In Progress




P - Pass




NP - No Pass








WP - Withdrawal Passing




WF - Withdrawal Failing




AP - Advanced Placement




AS - Advanced Standing




AU - Audit








NG - No Grade




PM - Prerequisite Met


I- Incomplete


TR - Transfer Credit


A student can compute their grade point average (GPA) by using the following example (divide the total honor points by the total semester hours attempted):



Course Credit Hours


Grade Honor Points


Course Honor Points

ENGL 101







POLI 111







MATH 110







BIOL 104


















Divide 37.3 by 14




The grade of “F” is included in calculating the GPA. Grade of “I” through “TR” on the chart are recorded on the transcript but are not used for the calculation of the GPA. A student must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher to receive a degree or a certificate. Cumulative GPAs are based on all grades earned throughout the student’s academic career. Credits and grades for Transitional Studies courses are calculated into the term GPA but not the cumulative GPA nor applied toward completion of a degree or certificate. However, those courses may be required to fulfill prerequisites for required courses.

All courses, except those taken as an audit, count towards attempted credits. Only classes with grades of “D-” or above count toward completed credits. If a student repeats a course that was originally passed in order to improve a grade, the credits count toward attempted credits again but not toward completed credits. The ratio of completed to attempted credits is part of the determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Grades are generally posted by Wednesday after the semester ends. Students may review their grades on their unofficial transcript in myBay. Bay College does not issue printed grade reports.

Pass/Fail Grades

The Pass/Fail grade is occasionally used in some Bay College courses. “P” grades are not used to calculate the student’s GPA; however, “F” grades are used to calculate the GPA.

Incomplete Grades

If a student is not able to complete course requirements within the established timeframe, the student may request an ‘Incomplete grade’ from the instructor. An “I” may be given only if:

  1. The student has completed at least 80% of the required class work, but is unable to complete the remaining class work and/or take the final examination because of extenuating circumstances such as major health issues, family crisis, etc.
  2. The student has done satisfactory work in the class. (Students who are failing cannot request an “I” in order to redo completed class work.)
  3. The instructor determines that the student can complete the required work without repeating the course.

If these conditions are met, the instructor must:

  1. Submit an Incomplete Grade Form. This form indicates actions the student will undertake to finish the required class work and the deadline for completing the work.
  2. Keep one copy, give one copy to the student, and submit a copy to the Records Office.
  3. Monitor student progress toward completion of class work.
  4. Submit a Change of Grade Form to the Records Office upon completion of work and recalculation of the course grade.

Students should not re-register for the course while finishing requirements for an “I” grade.

Instructors and students must set a reasonable time frame for completing class work and submitting a new grade. A Change of Grade is due to the Records Office according to these deadlines. If no change of grade is submitted, the “I” grade becomes an “F.” The instructor may request an extension of the deadline from the Registrar.

Term: Deadline:
Fall May 1
Winter December 1
Summer December 1

Change of Grade

If it is determined that there was an error in calculating a grade or an incorrect grade was assigned, a student may initiate the Change of Grade process by contacting the instructor. If verified, the instructor will submit a Change of Grade form to the Records Office. All requests for a change of grade must be made within three months of the posting of the final grade on the transcript.

The change of grade will be made on the transcript and GPA will be recalculated.

However, if the student believes that there was inaccuracy in evaluating the quality of work, and, therefore, an unacceptable grade was assigned, the student should follow the Academic Appeals Procedure found on the Academic Information    page.

Academic Forgiveness

Occasionally a student has failing grades that adversely affect their GPA, but those grades are in courses they do not need to complete a degree or certificate. If a student has failing grades in courses not needed for their degree or certificate, they may request that up to 12 credit hours of failing coursework be removed from the calculation of their GPA. The original grade remains on the transcript, but a notation is made that the “F” has been removed from the calculation of the term and cumulative GPAs. The following regulations apply:

  1. The student must be currently enrolled.
  2. The student must submit a request for Academic Forgiveness to the Registrar. Only Bay College courses may be adjusted. The form is available in MyBay –> Current Students –> Forms, Docs, Policies or by e-mailing a request to registration@baycollege.edu.
  3. The request will not be processed unless the student has successfully completed at least 12 credits beyond the last semester for which the student is seeking academic forgiveness.
  4. The Registrar will respond, indicating whether academic forgiveness was granted.
  5. Upon granting of the academic forgiveness, the student’s transcript will be adjusted.
  6. All actions taken to remove credits and grades from the calculation of the GPA are final.

Students should consider that other colleges and universities may not honor this procedure.


Academic Honors

Bay College seeks to award students for their academic achievements with the following honors awards:

Dean’s List: Honors are awarded at the end of the Fall and Winter semesters to students who earn at least 6 credit hours (including Transitional Studies courses, “P” grades, or “I” grades) and achieve a 3.5 or better GPA for that semester. Students who earn honors will receive a notification letter, their names will be part of the Dean’s List which is printed in local newspapers, and a notation will be added to the appropriate term on their transcript.

Graduate with Honors: Students who graduate with a 3.5 cumulative GPA will graduate with honors. A notation is made in the commencement program and on the transcript. It will also be indicated on their diploma or certificate.

Phi Theta Kappa: Students who are members in good standing of Phi Theta Kappa at the time of graduation will receive a notation on their diploma or certificate and on their transcript.


Academic Probation Procedures

All Bay College, students’ academic progress will be reviewed at the end of each Fall and Winter semester. In addition, students receiving Financial Aid awards from Bay College will be subject to the federally regulated Satisfactory Academic Progress guidelines monitored by the Financial Aid Office.

Student progress which fails to meet the Standards of Academic Progress will be subject to the following action:

Academic Warning:

  • The first time a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, they will receive notification that it is necessary to take intervention to improve their grades.
  • A notation will be placed on their transcript and a warning will appear in myBay when the student registers for classes.
  • Students are encouraged to work with their advisor to plan for improved performance.

Academic Probation:

  • A student will be placed on academic probation if they fail to meet satisfactory academic progress for a third consecutive semester. They will receive notification of their status, a notation will be placed on their transcript, and a warning will appear in myBay when the student registers for classes. Students are encouraged to work with their advisor to plan for improved performance.
  • A student is removed from academic probation once the cumulative GPA rises above 2.0.
  • A student will continue on probation if their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0. A student placed on probation status has two semesters to raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher. If the minimum cumulative GPA is not met at the end of two semesters on probation, the student is subject to academic dismissal.

Academic Dismissal:

  • A student on academic probation for two semesters who fails to raise the cumulative GPA to at least 2.0 will be subject to dismissal. The student will be notified of their options.
    • COUNSELING - The student will meet with an advisor or Registrar to establish an academic support plan. Plans may include but are not limited to restrictions in the number of credit hours allowed, required tutoring, and/or meetings with the advisor throughout the semester, repeating courses, or career exploration.
    • DISMISSAL - The student is not allowed to enroll for classes at Bay College for one semester.
  • Students selecting COUNSELING must follow the Academic Support Plan as written. If the student fails to satisfy the agreement, academic dismissal will result, and the student must meet with the Registrar before re-entry will be considered.
  • Students selecting DISMISSAL may be allowed to re-enroll at Bay College after a minimum of one semester of non-enrollment. The student must contact the Registrar for reinstatement.

Students who have been placed on academic probation or dismissal have the right to appeal their status if there are extenuating circumstances for not meeting the standards for academic progress. The appeal must be submitted in writing to the Registrar within 15 days of receipt of notification of probation/suspension status.


Graduation & Commencement


Graduation refers to the completion of requirements for the student’s chosen degree. The students should work with advisors to select courses that will fulfill those requirements. Students should request for a degree audit to receive completion information, verifying that requirements are being met by applying for graduation.  The application for graduation can be found by logging into MyBay –> Current Students –> Graduation. Candidates should apply no earlier than one calendar year prior to degree completion.


Bay College hosts a Commencement ceremony to celebrate the graduation of all those who have completed their degree requirements during the Fall semester, Winter semester or Summer session of that academic year. Any student wishing to walk at Commencement must have a degree audit on file through the Registrar’s office one calendar year prior to the Commencement Ceremony. Invitations for Commencement will be sent out in the Winter semester to all students who have an active graduation audit or have completed their degree in the previous Fall semester. The Commencement ceremony is held once each year, on the Saturday in May following final exam week for the Winter semester. Participation in the Commencement Ceremony is strongly encouraged but not required. Student Services will issue information and instructions regarding commencement activities.

Degree Completion

Students must meet the following requirements in order to be considered for graduation:

  1. Complete all degree or certificate requirements as presented in their Catalog of Record. 
  2. Attain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher.
  3. Complete the residency requirement of a minimum of 17 credit hours at Bay College for any degree or 16 credits for a certificate.
  4. Students who wish to complete a second degree must complete 15 additional credit hours beyond the first degree requirements as well as the degree requirements for the second degree.
  5. Students who have completed a degree and wish to complete a certificate need only complete the remaining course requirements for the certificate.
  6. Students who wish to complete more than one major may declare an additional major.

Application for Graduation

One calendar year before students anticipate degree completion, students should request an official degree audit. Students will be informed via email the results of the degree audit. If the student changes their registration after the audit is completed, Bay College cannot guarantee degree completion. Students can request a degree audit by completing the application for graduation, which can be found by logging into MyBay –> Current Students –> Graduation.

The Registrar may automatically provide completion information for students who are close to receiving their intended degree but have not yet requested an official degree audit. If those students do not wish to graduate with that particular degree, those students must contact the Registrar to opt-out of graduation.

Requests must be submitted by March 1 to be eligible for invitation to the Commencement Ceremony. There is no guarantee that applications received after March 1 will be processed in time for the student to be included in Commencement. Degrees are conferred at the end of Fall, Winter and Summer. Applications submitted after the end of a term will be considered for the next conferral date.

Course Substitution

Occasionally the student will have difficulty completing all required courses due to circumstances beyond their control. If the student’s faculty advisor deems it necessary to substitute a course, the faculty advisor must complete the Course Substitution form and submit it to the Dean for approval. The signed authorization is then submitted to the Registrar for approval and application to the final degree audit. If a student receives a substitution and has not yet requested an official degree audit, the student will enter the graduation process automatically.

Reverse Transfer of Credit for Degree Completion

Students leaving Bay College prior to earning a degree or certificate may transfer credit back to Bay College from another college or university to fulfill degree or certificate requirements. Courses/credits which will apply for reverse transfer credit should be identified by the Registrar prior to a student leaving Bay College through an official degree audit.

Students who elect to reverse transfer credits must complete the following:

  1. Before leaving Bay College, request an official degree audit and indicate completion via Reverse Transfer within the request. When the audit is completed, the student will receive a list of requirements they must meet to complete the indicated degree.
  2. After successfully completing the determined course(s) with a grade of C or higher, the student must request an official transcript from their transferring institution be sent to Bay College. At this time, if the student has not informed Bay College of their wish to complete via Reverse Transfer, it is necessary to e-mail registration@baycollege.edu to expedite the completion process. 
  3. Once transcripts have been evaluated and requirements applied for completion of the degree, Bay College will notify the student when degree requirements have been met. The degree will be conferred, and diploma will be sent to the student.

Diplomas and Certificates

Diplomas and certificates are prepared and mailed to graduates after the completion of all degree or certificate requirements are verified. Diplomas and certificates will be mailed to the address on file. Please note that diplomas take 6-8 weeks after graduation date to be received by student.

Retention and Graduation Rates

In compliance with the Student Right to Know Act, Bay College tracks retention and graduation rates. This information is available on the Bay College website at www.baycollege.edu.


Student Records

Every effort is taken to maintain the accuracy and confidentiality of student records. The Registrar has oversight of every student’s permanent academic record.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Bay College complies with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which provides that institutions maintain the confidentiality of students’ educational records. Students have the right to examine and review information contained in their educational records and to challenge the content through the formal and informal guidelines established. Bay College has adopted a policy which explains in detail the procedures followed for compliance with provisions of the Act. Students may request to see their educational records being held by the College and petition the Registrar to have records corrected if they believe the record to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their privacy rights.

To maintain the privacy of student educational records, Bay College releases to school officials only that information that is needed for College personnel to perform their duties. Bay College also uses student educational records to file required reports with government agencies. Occasionally this requires using student social security numbers and wage record information for the WIA (Workforce Investment Act) and the Carl D. Perkins & Technical Education Act. Great care is taken to preserve the integrity of these records and to use only the minimum required information. Students have the right to refuse to permit the inclusion of their SSN in these specific reports. More details are available from the Registrar’s Office.

Directory Information

FERPA allows disclosure of directory information to appropriate persons. Such information is disclosed with caution and in a manner that protects our students. Directory information is information that is not generally considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following information is considered directory information and may be disclosed upon request and without prior consent of the student in question:


Major Participation in Officially Recognized Activities


Enrollment Status and Course Load

E-mail Address

Dates of Attendance and Graduation

Telephone Listing (campus, home, emergency, and cell)

Degrees and Awards Received

Date and Place of Birth

Most recent Previous School Attended

Candid Photos taken on Campus

Sports Photographs

Official Bay College ID Card Photo

Position, Weight, and Height of Athletes

Directory information does not include student identification numbers, social security numbers, or any other personally identifiable information.

Students may prohibit disclosure of directory information by filling out the Non-Disclosure Form which is available in the Registrar’s Office. Questions concerning general disclosure of information should be addressed to the Registrar. Students may designate individuals who they want to have access to the information in their educational records by completing the appropriate form in the Records Office. The U.S. federal government reserves the right to disclose student’s personally identifiable information (PII) to third parties who are contracted to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program, or who are doing research.

If a student believes their educational record is in error or that their rights have been violated, they may petition the Registrar to correct the records. Students may also file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education by writing to:

Student Privacy Policy Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-5901